Elliot’s Beach - Tamilnadu
Bessie or Besant Beach is also known as Elliot’s Beach. The beach is named after the chief magistrate and Governor of Madras during the British Era. In the nearness, Velankanni Church and Ashtalakshmi Kovil pose a heavenly sight. Regarded as one of the cleanest beaches in Chennai, a worthy milieu for long walks. The most prominent beach in Chennai for everyone today, back then Whites can only visit this beach. Families and Friends occupy this salty terrain while lip-smacking seafood cuisine is all around the place. ATVs (All Terrain Vehicle) manage the gathering of crowds, preventing drowning accidents. One could visit the famous monuments near the beach, sunbath, and relaxedly pose for silhouettes during sunset. A perfect weekend getaway to clear of the stress from the busy Metropolitan population.
Beach Highlights and Nearby Attractions
- Ashtalakshmi Temple: View Goddess Lakshmi’s eight manifestations in this 20-year old temple. The architecture is different from other temples of South India.
- Famous restaurants of Chennai surround this beautiful beach. Seafood cuisine has a long history associated with these restaurants.
- Madonna of Velankanni or Lady of Health poses a beautiful look in the vicinity. Velankanni Church’s Lady of Health is said to have a lot of strange powers.
- Karl Schmidt Memorial for Dutch“savior-sailor” who had saved a drowning swimmer once is a major attraction.
- Breezy Beach is another tranquil and less crowded beach for people to relax whenever Bessie gets flooded.
- Visit the Forum Art Gallery in Adayar for its paintings, sculptures, photographs, and ceramics.
- Tholkapiya Poonga is another ecological park which is inside the Adyar Estuary. It has more than 160 species of trees a frequent acquaintance for locals.
Activities to do
- Temple Visit
- Seafood Cuisine
Best Time To Visit
November to February is the best time to visit Chennai. Winter is an ideal time to explore in and around the city. And so, visit Elliot's beach is best visited when the fresh sea breeze blows. A little warmth of the Sun creates a beautiful blend. Summer is too harsh for travelers to explore the places, however, monsoon season behaves in unexpected ways. But travelers can gather in winter for a good time in the capital of Tamil Nadu.
Ways to Reach
Air: Anna International Airport is just km away from the city. Cabs, local trains, and buses are available to take one to the Elliot’s Beach.
Road: One of the largest bus services in Asia is in Chennai. Most of the South Indian cities are connected to Chennai. Within 20 km range, Bessie Beach is connected to Koyambedu Bus stand.
Rail: One of the important railway stations in India. Central and Egmore Railway Station is less than 3 km away from each other. From both places, Bessie is less than 15 km away.