Kannur - Beach - Kerala
Kannur Beach is a group of five beaches that are situated on the western side of Kannur district of Kerala. The Payyambalam Beach, Meenkunnu Beach, Adikadalayi Beach, Baby Beach and Thayil Beach are the five beaches that together form the famous Kannur Beach.
Kannur beaches are the best destinations for those who are looking for a secluded spot to spend their holidays. There is a garden near the Kannur Beach which houses a sculpture of Mother and Child which was built by the renowned sculptor Kanayi Kunjiraman is an attractive feature of the Kannur beach.
Payyambalam beach is the most popular among the beaches in Kannur. There is a small beach called the Baby Beach near Payyambalam which is not known to many. The Dharmadam Island is a major crowd puller at this destination. St. Angelo’s Fort which was built by the Portuguese in the year 1505 also never fails to attract the tourist visiting this beach.
The Mappila Bay which boasts many beautiful mosques is another attraction here. Near the Kannur Beach, you can find the graves of some of the most prominent social leaders of Kerala like E. K. Nayanar, Swadeshabhimani Ramakrishna Pillai, A. K. Gopalan, Pamban Madhavan, Sukumar Azhikode and K. G. Marar.
- Kannur Beach is a combination of five beaches in Kannur district.
- The major attraction of Kannur Beach is the sculpture of Mother and Child which was built by the renowned sculptor Kanayi Kunjiraman.
- The graves of some of the most prominent social leaders of Kerala like E. K. Nayanar, Swadeshabhimani Ramakrishna Pillai, A. K. Gopalan, Pamban Madhavan, Sukumar Azhikode and K. G. Marar are situated near the Kannur Beach.
- The Payyambalam Beach is the most popular among the Kannur Beach.
- The small beach next to Payyambalam Beach is called the Baby Beach.
- Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach is another important beach and it is the longest drive-in beach in India.
- The Thottada Beach is known for sunbathing.
- Meenkunnu Beach is popular among Europeans for its picture-postcard-looks.
- Dharmadam Island and beach, St. Angelo’s Fort and the Mappila Bay Harbour are other attractions near Kannur Beach.
Things to Do
- Enjoy water-related activities at Kannur Beach.
Way to Reach
By Air : Calicut International Airport is the nearest airport to Kannur Beach which is at 118 Km away. From there, one can hire a taxi or board a bus to reach Kannur Beach.
By Rail : Kannur Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Kannur which is just 3 Km away. From there, one can hire a taxi or board a bus to reach Kannur Beach.
By Road : Kannur is well-connected to major cities like Kochi, Madras, Kozhikode, Bangalore, Thiruvananthapuram, Coimbatore, Mangalore, and Madurai by road. Many state transport buses and private buses run inside and outside the Kannur district.